The Proper Way to Correct I-9 Documents and Not Pay Penalties! Use New Tools Accepted by the Department of Homeland Security (DHS)
Duration : 90 Minutes
HR Compliance Solutions, LLC-Compliance Officer, Margie Faulk, PHR, SHRM-CP-is a senior level human resources professional with over 14 years of HR management and compliance experience. A current Compliance Officer for HR Compliance Solutions, Margie has worked as an HR and Compliance advisor for major corporations and small businesses in the small, large, private, public and Non-profit sectors. This includes Federal Contracting in the defense, military, anti-terrorism and Apache Helicopter Training Simulations with Federal Acquisition Regulations (FAR), Federal Sentencing Guidelines (FSG) and Office of Federal Contract Compliance Program (OFCCP). Margie is bilingual (Spanish) fluent and Bi-cultural.
In 2018, Margie was selected by Alan Collins, former Vice President of Human Resources at PepsiCo, a renowned author of 9 books on HR Prosperity & Success, and founder of “Success in HR”, to be part of his Mastermind Your Way to Success in HR, “Expert Interview Series” based on her successful Webinars/Seminars on HR Compliance.
Margie’s focus has expanded to Global Workplace Compliance in International, multi-state, multi-National, state and local workplace compliance which includes workplace compliance in other countries like the UK, Canada, France, Brazil, China, Africa, Mexico, and India, just to name a few. Margie has created and presented seminars/webinars for many compliance institutes. These national training providers, offer compliance training to HR professionals, business owners and companies interested in having their company compliant with workplace and industry regulations.
Margie holds professional human resources certification (PHR) from the HR Certification Institution (HRCI) and SHRM-CP certification from the Society for Human Resources Management. Margie is a member of the Society of Corporate Compliance & Ethics (SCCE).
Free for All Attendees: I-9 Correction and Storage Toolkit Accepted by DHS!
I was one of 3 compliance auditors who reviewed over 7,000 I9 documents from an agricultural farm in Florida in 2012. We were hired when the company was audited for I9 document violations and the possible violation for hiring illegal immigrants. It was the start of when regulatory agencies were cracking down on immigration hiring and the abuse of immigrants. The company, a strawberry farm in Lakeland, Florida paid over $350,000 in fines and then agreed to have Department of Homeland Security (DHS) and U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE), the enforcement arm, conduct an audit of all their I9 documents for the past 5 years.
It was during this intense audit that I learned some of the details and idiosyncrasies of I9 document corrections and what ICE determines as compliance. The 3 auditors were in communication with ICE during the initially 2 weeks then expanded to almost 3 months. After the 2 weeks, the other auditor left, and we were left with 2 auditors who maintained the intense review for 3 months. Because of this internal review and agreement, the strawberry farm had with DHS, the fines were reduced to $150,000 with an ongoing audit for the next 5 years. Here is where I learned that I9 documents can be an easy way for DHS to identify fines and penalties. There is no reason to give any regulatory entities free money in violations and fines.
On June 30, 2016, the Department of Justice (DOJ) along with the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) has issued several rulings outlining several civil penalties increases, ranging from small hikes to doubling penalties. This started with the Federal Civil Penalties Inflation Adjustment Act (FCPIAA) signed into law in November 2015. This ruling also adds a catch-up adjustment as well as annual adjustments. Not only does this ruling impact all Immigration processes but it will impact the number of fines and penalties that Employers must pay if they are audited for I9 documentation but also will impact most Immigration processes and regulations.
- Learn what types of errors have the highest fines
- Ensure you have the most current I9 forms that are required
- What has changed in the most recent focus with the new political administration?
- How is the right way to correct I9documents and save your company from unnecessary violations?
- What is the minimal risk Employers have when establishing an I9 document Correction & Storage Process?
- How should I9 documents be effectively corrected?
- How long should I9 documents be retained for active and terminated employees?
- Why are most Employers unclear about completing the new I9 form?
- Why are most HR professionals or those responsible for processing I9 documents still violating the request for documents section?
- What can you do if you have remote employees when it comes to I9 forms?
- What new immigration guidelines do Employers need to be aware of with the new administration?
- What is the Council for Global Immigration and what employees are protected?
Who Should Attend
- Board of Directors
- Program Managers, Office Managers (with HR Roles)
- HR-Workplace Compliance Professionals (Officers, Directors, Managers, and Specialists)
- Senior HR Professionals
- Operations Professionals
- Anyone Interest in Learning More About new immigration I-9 documentation new I-9 form
- HR Professionals
- Office Managers and/or any professional onboarding new hires
- Speaker: MARGIE FAULK
- Webinar Code: MAFA-0008