Simplifying ACH Returns – Faster Returns in a Same-Day Environment
Donna K Olheiser, AAP, is the vice president of Education Services and founder of Dynamic Mastership, LLC.; and holds the Accredited ACH Professional (AAP) designation (achieved in 2004). She is an enthusiastic and energetic Certified Master Trainer with over 14 years’ training experience. She has designed and facilitated over 100 training sessions each year with her expertise being the rules for companies and financial institutions when processing electronic (specifically ACH) payments, then scheduling the events to facilitate and deliver the material through a variety of venues (webinars, teleseminars, in-person workshops, including regional and national conferences).
Her extensive knowledge, enthusiasm and passion for transferring payment processing knowledge using the adult learning theory is remarkable and has helped many payment professionals perform daily operational tasks including exception processing while remaining compliant with the NACHA Operating Rules. She uses scenarios and examples to bring the learning home, easy to comprehend and apply to real-life day-to-day ACH processing. Ms. Olheiser’s ability to engage the learner through the entire training event helps the adult learner apply what they’ve learned during and after each training session.
Donna has over 24 years of experience in the financial services industry which includes 9 years’ experience as the education service director at a Regional Payments Association (RPA), where she managed and facilitated the entire education program for nearly 800 financial institution members. Prior to that, Ms. Olheiser spent 14 years in various departments with the Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis, including the internal educator for FedACH Central Operations.
ACH Returns can be complicated and requires attention to detail. In the ACH network, for years, returns have been sent – typically with financial institutions processing exception items on Day 2; why not change that now in the new Same Day ACH environment? There are many opportunities with the extra settlement windows for exception processing to change (if the RDFI wants to) – this session will identify the options and it’s up to the participant whether they will utilize the option or not.
The Return “Rules” aren’t changing – the difference is that there are now extra windows of opportunity to “transmit a Return Entry” earlier…on the same day this Entry is an exception. For example, unable to locate account, account closed, NSF, Unauthorized are all reasons an entry can be returned…why not return that entry (that’s on the exception report) on the day it “is” an exception processing item. Examples of these types of returns and the “what if’s” are included to differentiate between the returns processed next day AND Returns processed “Same Day”.
- Identify the timeframes Returns can be done in the legacy ACH system and the Same Day environment
- Define the difference when doing Returns between the legacy ACH system and the Same Day environment – timeframes and settlement
- List the settlement times when Returns can settle if done on Same Day vs. next day
- Describe how the RDFI can benefit from doing Same Day Returns vs. next day returns
- Outline the process using scenarios to identify the benefits and processes involved
Who Should Attend
- ACH Operations staff
- Compliance Officers (Auditors)
- ACH Managers
- Electronic Payments Professionals
- AAP’s – keeping up with changes in ACH Rules and wanting to earn AAP Continuing Education Credits
- Financial Institution Professionals (New/Current Operations Staff)
- Banking Operations Managers and Staff
- Compliance and Risk Professionals
- Treasury Management Professionals
- Aspiring and Current AAPs (Accredited ACH Professionals)
- Payroll Processors
- Company/ Business Owners (Originators)
- Anyone who wishes to enhance their knowledge of new rules
Why Should Attend
As an RDFI are you utilizing the full potential of the “return process” in the NEW Same Day Environment. You CAN do “Same Day” Returns WITHOUT having to pay the 5.2 cent fee for each Same Day Entry. Same Day Returns do NOT pay the fee but can receive settlement for the returns as soon as the same day.
Using the “Same Day Return”
function is not mandatory, and Returns can still be completed like they
are today (processing exception items/returns on Day 2). But, if you
knew that you “could” get same settlement for a return done on the same
day of settlement – this is not JUST about returning “same day” entries
on the same day…this is taking any ACH item on any given day (the
exception or rejects report) and returning it that very same day!
- Speaker: DONNA K OLHEISER
- Webinar Code: DOOL-0002