Mastering the Power of Sensitivity Tools in Financial Modeling
Miles Hutchinson is a CGMA and experienced businessman. He has been an auditor with PriceWaterhouseCoopers and the Chief Financial Officer of a $1 billion real estate development company. Miles is a highly sought after professional speaker and consultant who has presented over 2700 seminars and training sessions on a myriad of business and financial topics, including tax, financial analysis, and financial modeling, accounting matters, strategic planning, and compliance with the Sarbanes-Oxley Act. His clients include Abbott Labs, Bank of America, Boston Scientific, Citicorp, Corning, the FBI, the FDA, the Federal Reserve, GE, Pfizer, Siemens, US Marine Corps, and the US Army.
Join us for 90 minutes to learn how to put the powerful sensitivity tools of Microsoft Excel to work in your models. Learn the top 20 best practices of solid model design, development and delivery. Seasoned financial analyst, Miles Hutchinson, will show you how to unlock the power of scroll bars and spinners, goal seek, one and two-input data tables and scenario manager in your models. He will provide you with samples of the tools demonstrated during the webinar along with complete instructions for creating and using each of these tools.
Financial Modeling is based on the idea that forecasts are subject to variation and this variation should be tested and communicated as an aide to effective decision making.
- Learn “Best Practices” - Top 20 guidelines of effective model design, development and delivery
- Apply Scroll Bars and Spinners to individual cells and flex them over their relevant ranges with the touch of your mouse
- Use Goal Seek to discover how much a single variable must move to reach a desired outcome
- Use Data Tables with one or two-inputs to deliver an array of outcomes from your model in just seconds
- Use Scenario Manager to store selected groupings of inputs and resulting outcomes
o Use Scenario Manager to consolidate all ”versions” of your model into one file
o Use the built-in Scenario Summary report to compare your Scenarios side-by-side, automatically!
- Expand your skills in financial modeling to a level you never dreamed of in just 90 minutes!
- Bonus – download a copy of the demo model. Receive the answer key to our demonstration! Repeat the lessons at your own pace after the webinar is ended with full instructions provided for each tool
Course Level - Basic to Intermediate – participants should possess the skills to easily navigate the menus and functions of the MicrosoftTMExcelTM platform. They should be comfortable with the basic concepts of financial modeling variability in their assumptions. Miles will take you to the advanced level.
Who Should Attend
- Investment Analysts
- Financial Analysts
- Business Analysts
- Forecasting & Planning
- M&A Specialists (Mergers & Acquisitions)
- Risk Managers
- Strategic Planners
- Capital Expenditure Planners
- Cost Accountants
- Managerial Accountants
Why Should Attend
What if our projections are incorrect? How much variation can we live with when making decisions involving significant amounts of time, money and other resources? How can we express the degree of variation in the expected results current operations and future projects? How well do we quantify upside potential AND the downside risk in our decision making? We are constantly re-evaluating our actions. How do we know, upfront and with certainty, we will be able to weather decision gone bad? Financial modeling and forecasting from reasoned logic, realistic ranges for our significant variables and proper application of sensitivity testing should provide us with the answers to these questions.