How to Develop, Prepare, Analyze and Present an Outstanding Capital Expenditure Proposal
Miles Hutchinson is a CGMA and experienced businessman. He has been an auditor with PriceWaterhouseCoopers and the Chief Financial Officer of a one billion dollar real estate development company. Miles is a professional speaker and consultant who has presented over 2,000 seminars and training sessions on a myriad of business and financial topics, like financial analysis and modeling, accounting, strategic planning, and compliance with the Sarbanes-Oxley Act. He has over 35 years of practical experience in strategic planning, analysis, and reporting. He is the author of several useful reporting and tax tools available at www.soxpolicies.com and www.salestaxadvisors.com. His clients include Abbott Labs, Bank of America, Boston Scientific, Citicorp, Corning, the FBI, the FDA, the Federal Reserve, GE, Pfizer, Siemens, US Marine Corps, and the US Army. Please visit his websites to see how you can further benefit from his expertise.
Join us to learn about the latest and most accurate methods for performing capital expenditure (CAPEX) analyses. Learn how to establish your hurdle rate (minimum acceptable rate of return) for your CAPEX projects and which metric most fairly represents the true expected rate of return on your projects. Receive our standardized CAPEX model for use in performing future analyses.
- Identify your true cost of capital and how it relates to your minimum required rate of return (they are seldom equal).
- Understand how your current return on invested capital could affect thehurdle rate for your CAPEX decisions
- Learn to identify and quantify project specific risks
- Identify the best financial metrics for determining the viability of your projects using proven discounted cash flow techniques
- Use our checklists to help ensure you capture all elements for a complete and thorough analysis
- Learn how to organize the information and perform a thorough analysis
- Learn about the sensitivity tools available in MicrosoftTM ExcelTM to help you map variation and identify your key input assumptions
- Bonus: Receive our standardized CAPEX model for use in performing future analyses
Course Level - Intermediate
Who Should Attend
- Financial Analysts
- Risk Officers
- CAPEX committee members
- Accounting Managers
- Cost Accountants
Why Should You Attend
You want a new piece of equipment. A major competitor just went on the block and you wonder whether you should buy them. How do you decide? And what about the financing – should you lease the equipment or finance the purchase with debt or equity or some combination? One misstep and your career could be in jeopardy. All of these questions can be answered with standardized financial forecasting models.
Capital expenditures represent some of the most expensive decisions a business will ever make, including equipment, relocation, outsourcing, mergers and acquisitions. Building a business case that clearly outlines the purpose, costs, benefits, risks, and opportunities of the decision is critical to making a sound decision.