Coaching as a Leadership Skill
- Born in Germany
- Joined Air Force and reached the staff office level (O5) as a jet aviator for the German Air Force as well as an exchange officer with the US Air Force F-111. Retired from a 22-year career
- I came to the US 25 years ago for the USAF exchange
- Recruited by a software company after retirement and build a team of 11 direct reports with a 40% revenue impact.
- In 2005 started my own consulting company AMC LLC. We offer:
o Strategy development consulting
o International tech transfer program/project management support
o Employee and leadership skill development programs (custom developed as well as client provided), including coaching and mentoring packages for upper-level managers and leaders, including C-suite.
o Organizational change and L&D requirements support (starting with assessments all the way to full implementation of change programs or learning initiatives)
- Clients we serve include:
o Eaton Corporation (Office 365 roll-our change project)
o Genentech (Global eLearning development program)
o Bayer AG (International Capacity Expansion project US - Germany)
o Pacira Pharmaceuticals (Internal project moving manufacturing to the UK)
o Merck Pharma (Developing new strategy for regulatory submissions to FDA)
o Multiple associations and organizations like AMA, TTA, Steven Covey, etc. for delivery of online and in-0person workshops for topics about leadership and communications.
- Master’s degree in Organizational Management Ph.D. in Leadership & Org change
- Rutgers University Advisory Board member 2018/2019
- Facilitator/Faculty: “Voice of Leadership” & “Advanced Executive Leadership” – AMA (American Management Association)
- Certified Knowledge Management expert – KMCI (Knowledge Management Consortium International
- Certified Competent Communicator – TM International
- Certificate of Master Coaching – Fowler-Wainwright Institute of professional Coaching
- Certified Performance IQ coach- Global Performance Technologies GPT3
- Certificate of “How to be a better trainer” – Rockhurst University Continuing Education Center
- Certified as a facilitator for CISCO internal consultant communication program
- Certified facilitator/trainer for The Learning Factor in support of ANZ Bank
- Certified 360 Assessment facilitator for Sum-Total systems used by J&J FLL2 managers & leaders
- Certified Talent development champion (Take Charge of your Talent Inc.)
- Designer/inventor of “Innovation Mapping” interactive learning method
- Certified in N.E.W.S Team development model (Facilitated Training, Org transformation, Executive Coaching)
webinar has been approved for 1.00 HR (General) recertification credit
hours toward aPHR™, aPHRi™, PHR®, PHRca®, SPHR®, GPHR®, PHRi™, and
SPHRi™recertification through HR Certification Institute® (HRCI®).
Please make note of the activity ID number on your recertification
application form. For more information about certification or
recertification, please visit the HR Certification Institute website at
For further assistance contact firstname.lastname@example.org
The acronym GROWER stands for Goal, Reality, Options, Will, Experiences, and Results. It provides a relatively simple framework for structuring a coaching session and has been adopted by many of the world’s major organizations. In many places, there is confusion about what coaching for managers and leaders really is, especially when compared to counseling, mentoring, advising, etc.
In addition, the unfortunate fact that coaching is used in the United States as a term for sports, as well as a term for personal development in business, creates confusion. In sports, the coach will tell the players what the play will be at the end of a game with a few seconds left on the clock. In business, the manager or leader in the role of a coach will help the employee determine what the next suitable goals are and what the employee is willing and able to do to reach these goals.
How to coach and apply the GROWER system and what tools and worksheets to use to establish a successful coaching approach in business will be described in this program
- What’s the difference between managing/leading, coaching, mentoring, counseling
- What does style have to do with coaching
- How to apply the GROWER model
- How to set up coaching programs, integrate them into the regular schedule/calendar
- How does peer coaching fit into the picture
- How to keep the energy up in coach
- How to use coaching to improve performance
Course Level - Intermediate
Who Should Attend
All managers and leaders who want to be more effective in their management;/leadership and develop their peers and/or direct reports as part of their performance evaluation and improvement in business.
Why Should You Attend
Coaching is a process that allows someone to develop an opinion, define and pursue a goal and take action towards a challenging endpoint. People want to be empowered and not just told what to do. Empowerment comes from self-discovery and coaching is the perfect vehicle to use for this process.
The GROWER model will help manage and leaders to become good coaches quickly and help the people they work with to increase performance, have a better work-life and accomplish goals in a structured way.
The GROW(ER) model is based on the principle that everyone has the potential to develop and improve themselves, but just need help to unlock their potential. Coaching is the key to this. It encourages people to take responsibility for their own actions, which results in commitment and therefore optimizes performance. Another key principle of the theory is that using questions rather than instructions will foster change more readily.